Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Angry Hippie Central

So you want to know what I think about Portland, OR. Its a neat little city, that is run buy hippies.

I'm quite liberal, but this is going a little far. They really don't want you to enjoy driving a car here. The roads are small and unmaintained, the parking is terrible, almost everything is one way, and they tax the CRAP out of gas, I mean something fierce, $0.50 more per gallon. Being a person whom adores his four wheeled friends, this is almost unacceptable.

Then you have the bikers, the angry, hippie, bikers (bicycle). Who don't like anyone who drives a car, even hybrid drivers. Every year they protest. Trying to bring awareness to those who drive cars, that they want to share the road to. How do they protest you might ask? They line up, and bike down a four lane highway, blocking traffic for miles, causing police to work overtime, and seriously annoying the crap out of those people who they are trying to win over. Thats one way to attempt to accomplish a goal I guess.

Its like Cali, but no where near as friendly. On top of that there is a plethora of bums, who aren't cool ones like you could find in San Fran, they just ask you for cigarettes and sleep on the street.

On the other hand, the public transportation is quite nice and free in spots, something I've never seen before. Its is quick, and electric, making it almost silent.

There are also tons of coffee shops, really good ones too. Just today, I was having a cup of very good Kenyan AA and a bagel across the street from my hotel. Low and behold, they put on one of my favorite Aphex Twin albums. Good start to a day in my opinion.

I still have some salmon fishing to do as well as much more city to explore. If you're lucky, I'll have time to add some more of my findings on this very different city.

By the way, Oregon has only two syllables, and they will correct you if you if you call it O-Ra-Gon.

No comments: