Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Portland, OR part Duce

It’s difficult not to like this city. There’s a lot of good, and inherently, there’s also a lot of bad. I wonder, is it just a case of the grass being greener, or is this city a little better?

In any case, the landscape is definitely greener.

I could tolerate the pain in the ass parking. While it does cause some inconvenience, the street isn’t so bad, and the monthly rates might be tolerable if you make as much as I plan to. No salt though, which means those four wheeled holes to throw money into will last longer than New England cars.

Problem is, the ocean is two plus hours away. That’s a little rough.

I could live half way, but that would make going to all the fancy places difficult, and there really isn’t much in between here and the ocean. Now that I’m thinking about it, it would be a lot like where I live now. It’s an hour or so away from the ocean and an hour or so away from waterfalls, mountains, and miles of uncharted territory.

So maybe it’s not that much better…or is it….

It was nice out today, and every time I passed a group of alternative youth, the potent smell of ganja made its way into my nostrils. Everyone tells me how great it is, and being so close to Canada, I think I believe them.

You could find the same groups in other cities, but no where near as many, and if you’re near where I’m from, I’m probably in that group.

Does that make it better, in my opinion, yes. Does that make it worth moving here, in my opinion, no. Herb will come and herb will go but the rain is here to stay.

The public market almost makes it worth it, the FANTASTIC seafood almost makes it worth it, the restaurants, the people, the music, the atmosphere, almost makes it worth it. I can find those things else where, and its my window….I..I..I can’t stand the rain. A jazz tune, before it was violated.

More on the food note a little later....

No comments: